Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Norfolk: It's My Town Now

Norfolk Cruise Terminal
The view from our office conference room.
That's the Norfolk cruise ship terminal on the right.
I even dig the cranes in the middle. Cranes are pretty cool.

It's no secret that I miss D.C. I went to law school, bought my first house, got my first job as a lawyer, worked in the Pentagon, got drunk and closed many bars, heckled politicians, and had my first baby there. I cling to the home I once had, unable to completely let go. I had some of the best years of my life there. Hell, I still write for the D.C. Metro Moms Blog and I head up for happy hours every couple of months.

But I'm starting to dig this place where I live now. Yes, it's a bit less culturally diverse and there aren't as many cool restaurants, bars, and museums here. Let's face it; I can't go to many of those anyway unless I fork over $10/hour for a sitter to watch the little tasmanian devils in my home.

Hampton Roads has its own appeal, the beach being primary among them! It's a bit too early for beach photos, but I recently took some photos of downtown Norfolk, where I spend so much of my time. (In the office, of course.)

Sunset in Downtown Norfolk
This is the old Customs Building in downtown Norfolk (with the green roof) and another historic building behind it. I've always loved the contrast of the red brick with that roof.


Sunset Reflected
The sunset was reflecting off of this building about a block from my office, so I headed up to the roof of the parking garage to get a few shots. I just wish I'd been a bit higher up!



Curved Building at Sunset
This is the side of the World Trade Center building on the Elizabeth River in downtown Norfolk, where I work. I'll have to circle my office window next time, just in case Jenny wants to stalk me.


Old Customs House
The Old Customs House again. I look at this through my office window every day.
I just love that roof.


So, it's growing on me. More than just the space around my house feels like home now. I might even tell people I'm from this area in the future. Maybe.

8 comments:

ExPatSW said...

Great photos! And I'm glad it's starting to feel like home. Come on over and help me take lovely shots of my 'home town'!

Trish said...

Your photos keep getting better and better. My goal is to start posting pics with my D80 on my blog by May 1. -- and pics from my camera phone don't count.

Kyla said...

Gorgeous!

Jamie said...

I used to work in the WTC. We were right next to the Town Point Club on the third floor. The balcony overlooking Town Point Park was great. The cruise terminal and the Wisconsin weren't there when I was there (Feb. 99). Great pics of a place I miss.

Anonymous said...

Those are great ! Do you always carry your camera around with you????

Amy said...

Steph...you're pictures are getting so good! You are inspiring me to get off my butt and do more research for my camera. Although I could take your research and show the hubby! Miss you on the board...it's been quite dead lately!

I love where you live!!

Julie Pippert said...

Modern and history side by side is awesome, and so are your photos.

Christine said...

love the pictures, as usual. makes me miss the area, though i spent most of my time in Williamsburg and Surrey Co.