Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Missing Her

Missing Her


I hesitated before putting this picture on my blog. I've never had a problem revealing my emotions or even blogging about my family. But this photo captures someone else's pain. Ultimately, I shared it because I don't think my grandfather would mind. I think he would like the entire world to know of his wife's death, to mourn with him, and to celebrate her life.

They traveled the world together. They had parties, and laughed, and had fun together. They fought and they cried and they grew together. They had three sons. Four grandchildren. Two great-grandchildren, and another on the way. They were married for 60 years.

I never want to forget my grandfather's face when I arrived for my grandmother's funeral. I never want to forget how his voice cracked and his shoulders shook as he told her good bye for the last time, standing over her casket. I never want to forget the wistful look he has in his eyes when he watches Tee, her dog, looking for her.

I never want to forget because it reminds me of the most important things in life. Our family. The people we love.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautifully said and illustrated.

I'm sorry he lost his love, as well as you your grandmother.

emily said...

Thank you for sharing that and reminding us all of the beauty of love and family.

Bon said...

that's one of the most tender photos i've ever seen.

thanks. and love to your grandfather.

Shalet said...

I'm so sorry for his, and your, loss. Sixty years - wow. What a great marriage. Hopefully Tee will provide some much needed companionship. Love to your family.

Violet said...

i send much love out to your whole family. thank you for sharing such a private moment.

Anonymous said...

That's beautiful, hon, what a nice way to capture their feelings. Big hugs to you guys, I'm so sorry.

Robin said...

Sorry for your lost. Absolutely beautifully written post and pictures.

Julie Pippert said...

Grief is very personal, and usually so private, but this...it's as beautiful as any joyful photo. It has the joy under it, KWIM? So sorry sweetie.

Queen of the Mayhem said...

What a touching tribute!

Marcie said...

Beautiful photo of your grandfather..and one to cherish forever. It really does remind us of all that we hold most dear.
Thanks for sharing.