Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Everyday Life: Grocery Shopping With A Camera

Have you ever carted a camera openly around a grocery store before? Trust me, you get some odd looks. I felt like I needed to reassure all of the Harris Teeter employees that I was just taking photos for fun and wasn't part of some undercover FDA sting. Because, you know, I looked so bureaucratic and official with my jeans, hoodie, and 2 and 3 year old snot oozing accessories. *Snort*


Lobsters
Hollis encounters the lobsters.


Underwater Hollis
Underwater Hollis.

I like how it almost looks like there's another little boy inside the case, peering out.


Frozen Foods
Frozen Foods.

I can't really explain why I like this shot so much. It was taken with a Flickr photography group challenge in mind, but I really like how the glass cases and the overhead sign frame the ordinary scene.


meat market
Meat market. (Or, "I'm not just a cute face, Mommy.")

Meat makes a surprisingly pleasing photo backdrop. Who knew?
I used a Michelle Black V! Revolution Sepia RAW preset, lightened the eyes and changed saturation on a few sections of the photo. I think the vintage photo look goes well with his little stylin' denim jacket.


Tomorrow I'll share a few photos I doctored in Photoshop from my last photography class. I wasn't happy with what I shot in class, but it's not like I can go back and try again. I did the best I could with what I had. Stay tuned....

8 comments:

emily said...

I too REALLY like the Frozen Foods shot - although I did enjoy them all!

Very cool.

Anonymous said...

I love that last shot - he's such a cutie, and the meat does make a great backdrop, intriguingly...

Jamie said...

Hey, I recognize those overheads! And those wide isles. And the good lighting. Harris Teeter is t3h aw3s0m3!

DarkWing said...

I like all of these. really nice

Gunfighter said...

I like my Harris Teeter, too!

Nice pics, Steph.

GF

Anonymous said...

These photos are great. I think you are really coming along with your classes, etc. I like all the new photoshopping and washes/ textures/filters/etc.

Anonymous said...

It took me a few beats to get the lobster shot perspective. Very cool.

And yes, the frozen food aisle looks good. It's all that symmetry juxtaposed against the incongruent human element. Or whatever. Sorry just fell into my english-lit-essay writing mode there.

Violet said...

as usual, love your photo's. you've got a good eye and always add some awesome editing.
(i really need photoshop!!)