Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Lawyer Mama Dabbles

I take waaaay too many photos.

Most of my photographs are of my boys, although a landscape or flower gets a nod occasionally. But here's the thing - I have no idea what I'm doing. I know how to make many of my photos look better in Photoshop, but I have a tendency to "over process" my photos to try and get the look of professional photos. It doesn't work.

I finally decided that I needed to suck it up and get a camera that allows me to do more with lighting, depth of field, and focus. I'm retiring my point and shoot Nikon Coolpix L1 that has served me so well over the last few years and I've purchased a new toy. An intimidating new toy.

Here she is: the Nikon D40x.


It's my first ever SLR camera. Again, I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm expecting my new toy this week and I'm starting a basic photography class in a few weeks. I'm in school once again. So I started this blog to document my learning process with digital photography. I hope you'll join me.

9 comments:

Violet said...

all i have to say is...I am so JEALOUS!!!!!!

emily said...

I am so excited to read your new blog! I have had the Nikon D40 since September and have only used Picasa and Automatic mode... so maybe this will motivate me to learn more about my awesome toy.

CPA Mom said...

very cool! My cousin has a photography site. I'll have to "introduce" you two.

ExPatSW said...

The D40X has been on my wish list for awhile now. Let me know how it goes. I'm hoping to get mine next month.

joker the lurcher said...

i've got a d70 which i love although its too heavy to cart around all the time so i still use my little camera as well. good luck with it!

Nancy said...

Cool! I have a nice camera that I'm in waaaay over my head with. Perhaps we can learn together?

Unknown said...

I'm officially de-lurking! :-)

"Hi, I'm Angelarae. Nice to meet you!"

I bought my husband a Nikon D40x and it is fantastic. He's also starting a photography class in February. I'm excited to read your new blog and see your photos.

I blog too, but I'm private. Feel free to send an email to angelarae@shaw.ca if you want an invite :)

Lawyer Mama said...

Ooh, I hope I can motivate others too. Maybe we could even make this collaborative if anyone else wants to weigh in. What do you say, Nancy?

AngelaRae - Nice to meet you as well! Thanks for delurking. I'll email you.

Angela (CPA Mom) - Really? How cool!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the purchase, lawyer mama. You'll love it. I received the same one for Christmas!