Thursday, January 10, 2008

Flash Washout

Lurking around Flickr boards, I keep reading that you should take photos with natural light wherever possible. Automatic flashes on cameras tend to wash out colors and create harsh shadows and glare. After trying out some shots on the new camera with and without the flash, I'm a believer.

Taken with a flash.


Natural light and no flash.


Natural light again.

Natural light really does look much better.

The only problem with using no flash in low light is that the shutter speed slows down a lot. Consequently, I had to use a steady surface for the camera, since I don't have a tripod. Because I took some shots from the ground, it was a bit difficult to keep the camera steady, keep my glasses on my face, and look through the viewfinder!


Taken from the ground in front of the fireplace, looking up. Shot with natural light. It's a bit blurry because I had to hold the camera at an angle to get the shot. Still, I like it.

Notice the awesome Fadiddle stockings I have for H&H?

My brother-in-law and sister-in-law, sent me the niftiest tripod substitute and I can't wait to try it out!
I'll post some pictures after I get a chance to use it.

3 comments:

emily said...

WOW, the difference is incredible!

Thanks for the tip... now I need to go figure out how to turn off the flash :) And buy new lamps for the house.

jessabean said...

You can get lenses that work better for low-light situations. Dabble, dabble, dabble!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am a huge no-flash fan. And I am wicked jealous of your gorillapod.