Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The Pictures I'm Not Thrilled With

First, it's driving me crazy that I ended that title in a preposition. Oh well, I'll get over it.

The second thing that's driving me crazy? These photos.

You see, I'm a perfectionist. Not to mention, in a classroom I become Uber Steph. Seriously. I'm seriously annoying because I want to be the best. It doesn't matter if it's just a friggin' 8 session hobbyist photography class. I want the teacher to look at me and think, "Wow, she's the best student I've ever had!" Well, not entirely. But, um, yeah, kind of.

In class last week, our instructor had one of us sit in a chair in front of the glass classroom windows. The lights in the corridor were off. The lights in the classroom were off. Only the emergency lights were on. We had to take pictures and turn them into portraits.

I didn't use my flash for any of them. I tried a couple of different high ISO settings and fast shutter speed and I just wanted to see what I'd get. They looked pretty good on my screen and I figured I could fix the lighting a bit in Photoshop if they were a little underexposed.

Groooooaaaaan.

Yeah, they suck. They're really grainy and the few that aren't are out of focus. And I should know better. Cue inner perfectionist, "Use the friggin' flash, Steph." (And you can tell that my inner perfectionist will not let me forget this.)

My only saving grace was that we could do whatever we wanted in Photoshop.

Blurry. Sigh.


Same thing in black and white.


A super saturated, funky color look. I wanted the emphasis on just her face and the chairs.


And finally, a grungy, retro look with a texture overlay and a vignette.


Now excuse me while I continue mentally flogging myself.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I understand the whole inner perfectionist thing... But? Can I just say I really love that third one? The colors look great!

emily said...

Are we related in any way?

I think they look great. And due to YOU I have started "using" photoshop elements but when I say using I have been clicking buttons and then walking away exasperated. But I am working on it :)

Defiantmuse said...

I dunno what you're talking about.
you freak.
they rock.
esp. the one w/ the funky colors.
I guess I like them b.c they're NOT perfect.
they capture real life.
imho.

Jamie said...

All digital cameras suck in low light situations. Accept, work with it, and don't get upset at yourself over it. Using a flash in that situation would have been hard too, since the glass behind her would have become a mirror, thanks to the light delta between surfaces. Sounds like an exercise to make a point, more than one that expects great works as a result.

Amie Adams said...

You're going to teach me everything you learn in the class right??!!!

Violet said...

I'd LOVE to take a class.
I love the dark one, looks great. I'm also a "non-flasher" lol, I'm trying to find a balance and what settings are best.

DarkWing said...

the third one is great.